They instruct and develop capabilities by:
- Guiding students in identifying and locating resources (e.g., sources of information such as books, journals, other members of the clinical team).
- Providing an example of best practice in the discipline.
- Demonstrating an inquiring attitude and being seekers of new knowledge.
- Exposing students to the ‘big picture’ of the organization and of professional practice in the community of care where learning opportunities occur.
- Helping students engage in formative evaluation and refocus as required.
They inspire by:
- Leading by example.
- Introducing the student to colleagues who inspire them.
- Being aware of unique opportunities within the agency/organization that may provide inspiration to the student and facilitate the student’s availability to participate.
- Setting the bar of performance beyond the merely acceptable. 
 College of Southern Idaho Health Sciences and Human Services Paramedic Program. (n.d.). A Guide to Preceptorship. Available online at: http://hshs.csi.edu/paramedic/PDF/preceptorship.pdf