You can facilitate learner engagement by…
Taking time to find out about your students
- What skills and experience are they bringing to the learning environment that are, either directly related or transferable?
- Is this educational program a career change?
- What has led them to this point?
Finding out about their motivation
- What interests this person most about the discipline they have chosen to study?
- What aspect of it engages them the most?
- What do they most want to learn?
- What information or experiences can you provide that would meet these learning goals?
Designing educational goals to meet their needs
- Offer opportunities to acquire information and develop skills that build upon based upon their identified needs
Using this approach will not only make for a more effective and productive learning experience, it should also draw on the learner’s motivation for being there, and encourage more interest, enthusiasm and engagement. 
 Lieb, S. (1991). Principles of adult learning. Available online: