They provide constructive feedback by:
- Focusing on behavior/actions with concrete examples.
- Giving feedback in private and in a timely fashion.
- Offering suggestions for the student to try next time and offer to be a resource.
- Creating the greatest possible opportunity for student success.
They manage risks by:
- Assisting in risk identification.
- Encouraging development of judgment/actions in the face of risks.
- Modelling preparation for and management of risks.
- Being an advocate for clients and the learner.
They open doors by:
- Assisting in making connections to learning opportunities within the placement agency.
- Providing appropriate introductions to others who may influence the student’s professional or career development.
- Promoting awareness of contributions made by the learner to the placement agency.
- Being flexible to facilitate learning opportunities that arise throughout the placement. 
 College of Southern Idaho Health Sciences and Human Services Paramedic Program. (n.d.). A Guide to Preceptorship. Available online at: http://hshs.csi.edu/paramedic/PDF/preceptorship.pdf