Feedback, particularly constructive feedback, can be delivered in a kind, positive manner, without compromising the message that needs to be conveyed . Keep in mind…
- The tone of voice and approach are essential to offering feedback in a supportive way;
- Before offering constructive criticism, take a moment to reflect on what needs to be said and the best way in which to say it;
- Be aware of anger or irritation that you may have around the student’s behavior – try to deliver the message in a calm, kind way;
- Deliver your message with patience
- Remember that the intention of the feedback is to enhance student learning and improve practice;
- Reflect on your own learning process on the road to your current skill and experience level; mistakes are a part of the journey;
- Be careful that irritation does not slip into your tone of voice – this can happen without having realized it.